Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Independence Day!

How are you celebrating? My family likes to wipe down the grill and enjoy some burgers and hot dogs. Sometimes we watch a patriotic movie, but otherwise we like to maximize our time outside, whether chilling on the patio with some lemonade, watermelon, and yummy Popsicles, or at the pool. A few years we've gone to the beach, but this year that was unfortunately not the case. At night, we either go to the public fireworks display in our town and meet up with friends, or if we don't feel like getting eaten by mosquitos, stay in and tune into the televised NYC fireworks, which everyone knows are the best anyway :)

So how do I show my patriotic spirit through fashion and beauty? Here are some ideas.

Sundress:
Last year, I wore a navy and white striped sundress with white shoes. To finish the trifecta, I added a pop of red with my lip color. The dress is in a flattering fit, ties in to the nautical trend that's been big the past few summers, and can be easily worn for other events. A red lip is flattering on most skin tones and makes your teeth look whiter! Play around with blue and yellow toned shades to find the one that's right for you.

The lovely dress by Motel. I don't think it's available anymore, but the brand has some other lovely pieces through Asos. I'm eyeing this dress, which is also patriotic... for Brits!





This year I'm going more casual with a red tee, blue shorts, and white shoes. Boring, I know, but I'm away from home for an internship, so I don't have much to choose from! Instead, here's what I would choose in a perfect world for a casual but still patriotic look!
This floaty tank- stylish and practical for those muggy summer days.


Pop on this bandeau underneath to add some extra spirit and stay appropriately covered.
With these trendy shorts from Lulu's
Over these awesome tights from Asos if you're feeling adventurous.

This is a cute and practical shoe for running around, at barbecues and fireworks displays.

C'mon, you knew I was gonna include these. Not for the weak of heart, these bold shoes make any Independence Day look complete, though I'm not sure when else you'd wear them. Surprisingly comfortable, don't rule them out for a day of partying and fun, but I wouldn't recommend wearing them on a hike or anything.

Hope you all are having a lovely 4th of July. Remember to appreciate the freedoms we often take for granted, look back and take pride in the incredible and unbelievable moments of victory in our history, and learn from our mistakes. Enjoy the fireworks!




No comments:

Post a Comment